Bachelor of Science
Develop new cost-effective PSA tapes for the automotive, graphics, and protective film markets in a timely fashion.
- Significant adhesive formulating experience, including testing and evaluation, designing and making trial batches internally and with outside vendors.
- FTIR/analytical chemistry experience preferred
- An understanding of rheology and material properties (the way a wet adhesive, dry adhesive, and substrate behave when subjected to stress and strain and how that can impact the final product).
- Experience with production and trial coating.
- Project management in a time-bound setting.
- Experience with a majority of the following chemistries:
- Water-based and solvent based acrylic pressure sensitive adhesives (PSA’s),
- Solvent-based synthetic rubber PSA’s,
- Water-based and solvent based natural rubber latex PSA’s,
- Experience with polymeric substrates like Polyethylene, Polypropylene (PP), Polyester (PET), Saturated Paper backings.
- The ability to write succinctly and present data in a clear, understandable manner. Communication skills are paramount to the success of this position.
- Principal Responsibilities
- Perform lab bench work and develop new PSA tapes for automotive, graphics, and protective film markets.
- Prepare project feasibility, cost and time line required for incoming project requests.
- Coordinate scale-up activities of final design, including establishment of raw material, process, and product specifications.
- Work closely with the customer(s) and be the primary voice of the customer in a technical sense.
- The ability to travel to customer sites and vendor locations for trials.
- Evaluate and select the appropriate raw materials and equipment (interact with Purchasing and/or Operations to requisition material and/or shipment of quality materials).
- Modify existing products to improve performance and/or reduce costs.
- Provide assistance to Marketing personnel as requested; answer technical questions and solve problems as necessary.
- Communicate effectively with customers and suppliers as well as with manufacturing, marketing and sales personnel.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Minimum BS degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, polymer or material science.
- 5 -20 years of adhesive, tape, label, or flexible web processing experience involving formulation design using statistical tools to establish product validity and reproduce-ability. This position will have a heavy emphasis on formulation and customer product needs.
- Technical service- interaction experience with customers/end-users to determine requirements and develop customized solutions.
(215) 732-4311 ext 21